Detroit's annual fireworks display is expected to take place at about 10 p.m. on Monday, June 26 over the Detroit River. Here are some times to look out for during the day in case you're heading downtown, as well as places where you can and cannot watch them, places to park, and road closures. You might want to bring an umbrella if you're setting up early.
Where to watch:
The most popular public places to watch the Ford Fireworks are Hart Plaza, Spirit Plaza, and Belle Isle. Hart Plaza and Spirit Plaza will be open today, but people cannot set up their chairs until 2 p.m.
Belle Isle will be open to bikes and pedestrians today, but not for vehicle traffic until 2 p.m. Cars will need a recreation pass for the island. The island will close once capacity is reached. People are not permitted to watch from MacArthur Bridge.
As in the past, many area along the riverfront are not open for viewing. These include:
- RiverWalk in its entirety including Milliken State Park/Harbor
- AB Ford Park, 100 Lenox
- Gabriel Richard Park, 7130 E. Jefferson
- Mariner Park, 14700 Riverside Blvd.
- Lakewood East, 14578 Riverfront Blvd.
- Erma Henderson Park, 8800 E. Jefferson Ave.
- Owens Park, 8430 E. Jefferson Ave.
- Stockton Park, 9250 Dwight
- Maheras-Gentry Park, 12550 Avondale
- Elliott Park, 110 Mt. Elliott
- Riverside Park
At 6 p.m., expect streets downtown to start shutting down.
- No northbound or southbound traffic will be allowed on Woodward Avenue beginning at Park and Witherell. Motorists may cross Woodward at John R/Clifford, Grand River, and State/Gratiot.
- All streets south of Fort and west of Woodward will be closed.
- All streets south of Congress and east of Woodward will be closed.
- Beginning at 6 p.m., freeways will begin to close.
Parking meters will not be enforced after 5 p.m., but the city advises to adhere to parking restrictions along the street (fire hydrants, intersections, handicap zones). If not, ticketing or towing could happen.
These city-owned garages (as well as many privately-owned garages) are available for parking - although viewing from garages is prohibited.
Ford Underground Garage 6 a.m. - 1 a.m. $10
30 E. Jefferson
Eastern Market Garage 6 a.m. - 11 p.m. $10
2727 Riopelle Street
The People Mover will be running until midnight. Starting at 2 p.m., it will bypass the Huntington Place, Millender Center, and Renaissance Center stations. The Financial Center stop is the most central for people who want to get close to the action.
Some DDOT routes will be affected by the street closures:
- On June 26 from 5 - 11 p.m., the following eastside routes will end at the Bricktown People Mover Station on Beaubien between Congress and Lafayette. The affected routes are Van Dyke/Lafayette (#5), Gratiot (#6), Jefferson (#9), Russell (#40), Chene (#52), and Cadillac/Harper (#67).
- Bus passengers may take the People Mover at the Bricktown Station to get to the Rosa Parks Transit Center exiting at the Times Square/Grand River People Mover Station. Passengers at the Rosa Parks Transit Center traveling east should board the People Mover at the Times Square/Grand River Station and exit at the Bricktown Station to board eastbound coaches staged on Beaubien near the station.
- Woodward (#4) will lay over at the Rosa Parks Transit Center.
- DDOT employees in neon yellow vests will provide free People Mover tokens for passengers needing to reach the Rosa Parks Transit Center or buses on Beaubien near the Bricktown People Mover Station.
Minors 18 and under must be with a guardian after 8 p.m. for the area bounded by the Detroit River, Rosa Parks Blvd., Lodge Freeway, Fisher Freeway, the extension of Fisher Freeway east to include Gratiot Avenue, Vernor Highway, Chene Street, Atwater Street and Chene Park. Minors violating the curfew will be taken to the Butzel Family Center, 7737 Kercheval.
These locations will be open to find lost children:
- Huntington Place (formerly TCF Center/Cobo Center), off Atwater Dr. in the atrium
- Detroit Police Department 3rd Precinct, 2875 W. Grand Blvd. (313) 596-5300
- Detroit Police Department 4th Precinct, 4700 W. Fort Street (313) 596-5400
- Butzel Family Center, 7737 Kercheval, 628-2100
Staying in tonight? You can watch on Channel 4.